Monday, July 16, 2007

San Jose Public Library, Adult Summer Reading Program

How many of you out there have enjoyed participating in summer reading programs at your local library? I can't really remember back to my misspent youth to know whether I participated or not. But now I'm convinced it doesn't matter! Why? Because my local public library launched a summer reading program for grownups!!!!

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, since "turn off TV week" has kind of morphed into "turn off TV life" here at our house. But, I'mnot sure what I've been reading/finishing/starting. At Friday's storytime, the children's librarian found me and told me to stop and enter so that I could win fabulous prizes. So, I did. And then I thought no more of it because really I don't think I'm going to get another serious book read by the end of the month. And I don't want the library to have on record that I chose this summer to take a stroll down memory lane instead of keeping up with my other serious reading.

Well, today Geetha came over to play for the afternoon which made all of us very happy. She mentioned that she'd been wanting to see Ratatouille, and I suggested that we head for the theater. Opening up the ol' laptop to check showtimes, I discovered an email from the library. I won a pair of free movie passes!!!!

Not only that, but Camera Cinemas is an awesome local chain that actually encourages you to bring in your own food, so we did. A perfectly free afternoon at the movies! What a wonderful treat.

This put a big smile on my face for the rest of the day, and I just had to share.

2 comments:

Chicago Sarah said...

Don't think of it as strolling down memory lane- think of it as promoting Douglas Adams! If you want some medical/nursing geek reading, I recommend AIDS Doctors and Sisters on a Journey.

SWE said...

As long as there are no holdovers from the Krikkit wars involved, I'll be happy to add this one to the pile. :) Thanks!