Saturday, December 29, 2007

Later

One of Elise's gifts this Christmas was a "Fur Real Friends" kitten. We've been encouraging her to pick a name for this thing, largely because it's getting cumbersome that she calls it "the kitten who kneads her paws." I threatened to tell the story of Tikki Tikki Tembo, but that only made Andy nervous and did not speed the naming process one iota.

So, I resorted to my favorite child annoying tactic: endless suggestion. "How about Brunhilda?" I asked. "Emily? Anne? Gertrude?" Etc. I can be really persistent.

Finally, Elise looked me in the eye and said firmly, "Mommy, I will name the-kitten-who-kneads-her-paws LATER."

"Really?" I asked. "That's a peculiar name for a kitten. Are you sure you really want to call her 'Later,' Elise?"

"Yes, Mommy." (Imagine an impish grin here.) "The kitty's name is Later."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fun when you realize that your kid is developing a wicked sense of humor?

And isn't it terrifying when you realize that your kid is developing a wicked sense of humor?

Jaya said...

It took us weeks to name Tsunami--despite my repeated choruses of "Ridin' through the desert on a cat with no name..."

Didn't you have a turtle named None-of-Your-Business at one point?